From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Portage Git migration - clean cut or git-cvsserver
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 19:14:48
On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 01:48:29PM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Robin H. Johnson <robbat2@g.o> wrote: > > 1. > > Discussion on merge policy. Originally I thought we would disallow merge > > commits, so that we would get a cleaner history. However, it turns out that if > > the repo ends up being pushed to different places with slightly different > > histories, merges are absolutely going to be required to prevent somebody from > > having to rebase at least one of their sets of commits that are already pushed. > Not sure I'm following, but I will be the first to admit that I'm a > git novice. Would this be aided by a convention, like only committing > to master on the gentoo official repository, and any on-the-side work > on places like github/etc stays in branches? Those repositories would > just keep getting fed commits on master from the official repository.
Ok, let me try and reword my statement. - You have a commit, that you want to put into the Gentoo tree. - You have already pushed it to your github, signed - It needs to be merged/rebased so that it applies on the Gentoo tree. - If you force it to be a rebase so it applies on the tip, then you may have changed the history of your github tree, and broken any further forks. - If you permit a merge instead, nobody gets broken.
> > 2. > > Git-SVN breakage. Why does this matter you're wondering? > > We need the newer Git for the commit signing, but it comes with a > > price, the git-svn binary has some major failures with SVN 1.7. > > Git since 1.7.8 has been broken this way. > To clarify - these won't be issues for gentoo per se, but there is a > sense that we can't stabilize the latest git because it will break it > for people using git-svn on non-gentoo work?
As the Git maintainer, I will not keyword it for anybody until I know it's not going to lose/corrupt data, regardless of what they are using it for. I don't think there are many SVN repos left in Gentoo that haven't converted to using Git directly, so it's probably not a problem from that side.
> If that is the case, what is our sense of how important this feature > even is to gentoo developers? They're the only ones who really have > to have the latest git to commit to the official tree.
You'd be excluding me entirely, I need to use git-svn for other work projects, and emerging between two different versions of git would be very annoying (I switch constantly between the sides of work as they overlap). -- Robin Hugh Johnson Gentoo Linux: Developer, Trustee & Infrastructure Lead E-Mail : robbat2@g.o GnuPG FP : 11ACBA4F 4778E3F6 E4EDF38E B27B944E 34884E85