From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] ML changes
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 18:47:06
1 On Fri, 2007-07-13 at 12:04 -0600, darren kirby wrote:
2 > quoth the Chris Gianelloni:
3 >
4 > > Seriously, how about instead of these childish "if this happens, I'm
5 > > taking my toys and going home" attitudes,
6 >
7 > As opposed to the childish "I don't want to hear from a few outspoken users so
8 > let's close up the list" attitude?
9
10 Absolutely not. We very much do want to hear. But in a place specific to
11 just that :)
12
13 > Can you explain to me how giving the devs _more_ work to do is going to help
14
15 Seems like just the effort of forwarding an email from one list to
16 another. Not much effort there.
17
18 > Gentoo when getting user contributions, bugfixes, ebuilds etc incorporated in
19 > a timely fashion is already one of the largest problems IMO?
20
21 Exactly, your pointing out one of the potential largest negative issues
22 around Gentoo. Here's a possible solution. Let's not damn it to much
23 before at least giving it a go.
24
25 > Seriously, call us all childish if you want
26
27 Poor choice of words or analogies maybe.
28
29 > but you need to recognize that
30 > some of us users are seriously concerned about being alienated due to this
31 > proposal. If you insist on shutting out users like this you are basically
32 > giving us all the finger. I would expect this treatment from a SuperMegaCorp
33 > software vendor, not from Gentoo.
34
35 You could equate it to growth. But it's not about alienation at all.
36 It's about focus, and only effects those that know things as are.
37
38 To future devs and any new contributing users, they will see -dev as a
39 ml for developer interaction. They will see -project as a place for
40 interaction with the community.
41
42 I think all will find it beneficial in the long run. If we give it a
43 chance and some time. Should allow for better focus and greater
44 productivity on both front, dev <-> dev, devs <-> world.
45
46 In the end I put it to growth. So we can focus and make things better
47 all around. Not due to negativity, or etc. Even if everything is all
48 positive. If volume on any list gets to a point where it's productivity
49 declines. Action should be taken. Which isn't motivated by anything
50 negative.
51
52 I have unsubscribed from lists in the past due to the amount of volume
53 and hardly being able to follow. Pure positive technical development and
54 etc discussions. Just to much ;)
57 William L. Thomson Jr.
58 Gentoo/Java