From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changing policy about -Werror
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 21:43:50
1 > On Sep 10, 2018, at 4:59 PM, Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > Ühel kenal päeval, E, 10.09.2018 kell 22:56, kirjutas Kristian
4 > Fiskerstrand:
5 >>> On 9/10/18 10:51 PM, Matt Turner wrote:
6 >>> Consider again the bug that started this. The maintainer had not
7 >>> built
8 >>> this configuration. None of the arch teams had built this
9 >>> configuration until I did for the last architecture Cc'd. The patch
10 >>> committed doesn't change anything installed on the system, if not
11 >>> for
12 >>> Werror preventing the code from building.
13 >>
14 >> one way to look at it though, is that it is a valuable upstream
15 >> contribution that this configuration produces the error, so Gentoo is
16 >> contributing to upstream development because of it.
17 >
18 > And losing users and thus relevance in the process. Not everyone goes
19 > to bugzilla always and then waits for a fix, or fixes it themselves.
20 > Normal people wipe that stuff away and install an operating
21 > system/distribution that doesn't cause them grief in its place.
22
23 I would like to point out that if -Werror is set by say USE=debug, this is not an issue.