From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] BUILDROOT concept (was Re: [gentoo-dev] ROOT variable)
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 21:57:02
1 On Friday 23 April 2004 21:45, Paul Smith wrote:
2 > Maybe I'm misreading the code, but from what I can see, when you set
3 > ROOT it only changes where RDEPEND packages are searched for.
4 >
5 > It does _NOT_ change where DEPEND packages are searched for: they're
6 > still searched for on the native system not in the ROOT system. If the
7 > native system and the root system are very different, that doesn't seem
8 > like it can work properly.
9
10 No it will probably not. You must understand though that adding something to
11 DEPEND only tells portage that that package should be available, but it does
12 not change the build process or it's native checks. As such the package
13 itself searches for headers and libraries in the root directory. The ROOT
14 feature makes it such that the actual moving of files will not happen in the
15 base distribution but somewhere else. This is equivalent to running with the
16 -B (build package, don't install) function and later installing the binary
17 packages from a chroot.
18
19 > More generally, what I want to be able to do is build for a target
20 > (ROOT) a specific set of packages and versions _without_ having to
21 > modify my physical system in any way. I don't want the build of the
22 > ROOT to have any relationship to what I have installed on my physical
23 > system. If I want ROOT to have a version of a package that doesn't work
24 > with a newer version of GTK or whatever, I don't want to have to
25 > downgrade the version on my physical system in order to build that
26 > ROOT. Maybe I want to create a ROOT system with a KDE desktop but don't
27 > want KDE installed on my build system. Etc.
28
29 That is not possible, the only way to do it is with a chroot jail such that
30 you create a similar environment.
31
32 > Right now the construction of the ROOT is accomplished by a combination
33 > of stuff on the physical system and stuff in the ROOT image.
34
35 RDEPENDS do nothing for the build process. They only need to be there for the
36 package to run.
39 Paul de Vrieze
40 Gentoo Developer
41 Mail: pauldv@g.o