From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Dynamic dependencies
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 03:55:14
1 Rich Freeman posted on Thu, 17 Sep 2015 21:46:50 -0400 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 8:22 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
4 >> So council was called in, and it asked the portage folks to take some
5 >> steps that, portage development being what it is, had the effect of
6 >> slowing down and delaying things for long enough that, hopefully,
7 >> people have had time to come to terms with the changes, and with a bit
8 >> of familiarity, see static-deps aren't so bad, after all.
9 >
10 > To be clear, the only thing the council did was ask the portage team to
11 > clarify whether they intended to make it a default, and to provide a
12 > plan/policy for virtuals/eclasses/etc.
13
14 ... And AFAIK, that "provide a plan" bit is what ultimately effected the
15 delay... particularly as that's exactly what this thread is about, a year
16 later.
17
18 Which seems to have been the wisdom of Solomon. =:^) Certainly, some
19 plan for eclasses in particular is needed, and somebody needs to come up
20 with it. And asking the party proposing the change to propose a least a
21 draft plan for its execution is both traditional and reasonable. The
22 effect of that delaying things a year arguably wasn't entirely
23 deliberate, but a delay of say six months at least, could probably have
24 been predicted, if anyone thought about it.
25
26 > The purpose of the discussions on-list are mostly to try to go ahead and
27 > figure out what we want to do with virtuals/eclasses/etc so that the
28 > portage team can make the change when they're ready. My understanding
29 > is that they're now fairly eager to do so, but perhaps a bit gun-shy
30 > about dealing with all the likely bikeshedding. So, a few council
31 > members broached the subject so that people can throw their stones at us
32 > and maybe wear themselves out. In this way we also protect our generous
33 > salaries by making the job sound even less enviable than it must already
34 > seem. :)
35
36 I'm sure they're rather grateful, given the hue and cry[1] last time it
37 was presented. =:^/ As you seem to suggest, however, that's part of the
38 job of the council, to be the "the buck stops here" guy when one is
39 needed.
40
41 > A year ago this got an huge outcry. Of late I'm barely hearing a
42 > whimper of protest. I think that people have been dealing with broken
43 > dependency resolution long enough with subslots now that they just want
44 > to see the pain go away.
45
46 That was the "wisdom of Solomon" part. While it did effect a delay, both
47 you and I have noted the dramatic difference in tone this time around.
48
49 > From what I've heard it hasn't been too
50 > painful to disable dynamic deps, and I never really had issues with it
51 > with paludis when I was using it. I did take a look at the results of
52 > an emerge --changed-deps world and it came out to 388 packages to
53 > rebuild, much of it being kde.
54
55 Either that --changed-deps, or some other change introduced in portage
56 about the same time, seems to have dramatically reduced the number of
57 not-automatically-resolved blockers I had when I first started using
58 --dynamic-deps=n. So my recent static-deps experience is thus indeed
59 very reasonable and I agree suitable for default enabling.
60
61 But my early experience was far rougher, and I'm not /entirely/ sure what
62 the difference is, tho I'm chalking it up to --changed-deps. If indeed
63 that is the difference, as I suggested, it should be considered for
64 default along with static-deps, but as it does trigger more rebuilds and
65 because of the changed --selective behavior it brings, I consider a news
66 item critical, should it be suggested or become the default.
67
68 ---
69 [1] Hue and cry: LOL! I just looked up the term to ensure I was using
70 it appropriately, and it seems it's even more appropriate (and looking
71 back at the events I'm describing with it, humorous) than I intended!
72 Brits may be more familiar with the term's history than I was, but it
73 seems that originally, the term referred to the pursuit of a criminal and
74 ensuing general commotion, specifically the shouts to warn others to give
75 chase. That seems particularly descriptive of the commotion surrounding
76 this idea last time it was brought up, with people scandalized by the
77 very idea, calling for the idea and the people suggesting it to be
78 rhetorically ridden out of town as criminals! Such a contrast to this
79 time!
80
81 https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hue_and_cry
86 nd if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman