From: Brandon Hale <tseng@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] kernel sources mm-sources-2.6.1 are gone?
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 14:32:08
1 On (02/06/04 08:54), Thomas Mandl wrote:
2
3 > I've noticed that my sys-kernel/mm-sources-2.6.1-r5.ebuild is gone!
4 > a machine (setup about 10 days ago) was built with these kernel sources,
5 > and now I was trying to setup another identical machine, but the above
6 > named sources are gone!!!
7
8 We like to keep the number of ebuilds in a directory reasonably low, one
9 or two stable versions and one or two unstable.
10
11 > which 2.6 kernel sources are most stable and can be recommended for a
12 > stable production system (web server/mysql server).
13
14 First off, 2.6 *isnt* stable enough to be recommended for a stable
15 production system. You might be safe using 2.6 vanilla, but the only
16 real advantage on the server side is a bit of new hardware support
17 (fex amd64).
18
19 If you use mm-sources, please recognize what it is. This is Andrew
20 Morton's proving ground for new kernel work that is not ready (at this
21 point highly untested) before it is allowed to enter Linus's tree. Some
22 of these cause major problems, and are later dropped. In a nutshell, if
23 you run -mm, your systems stability is entirely up in the air.
24
25 On a real production system, I would recommend a vanilla 2.4.x kernel
26 with a small patchset. My personal choice is grsec-sources, which adds
27 support for PaX memory protections.
28
29 > many thanks in advance
30 > tom
31
32 Brandon Hale
33 Co-lead, Gentoo Desktop
34 Hardened Gentoo (yeah yeah, Method :P)
37 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list