From: Tom Eastman <tom@×××××××××××.nz>
To: MAL <mal@×××××××.com>, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Building binary packages for another system
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 22:55:28
1 On Sun, Nov 24, 2002 at 10:25:10PM +0000, MAL wrote:
2 > And no, I don't want gnome libs on the laptop :)
3 >
4 > For this trivial example, I built xchat on the laptop itself, (taking 25
5 > odd mins), but for something meatier this presents a problem.
6
7 I am running Gentoo on a P133 with 40 megs of memory, I've found that using
8 distcc (The distributed compiler), with the machine networked to my PIII-500
9 makes most compiles *much* more bearable. This would also prevent the
10 linking-to-the-wrong-library problem you mentioned.
11
12 As for the xchat/-gnome thing: It is my understanding that '-gnome' can only
13 remove *optional* features. I believe xchat is actually *written* for Gnome
14 (or, gtk at least), and therefore you can't compile it without those requisite
15 libraries.
16
17 Correct me if I'm wrong.
18
19 Tom
23 Tom Eastman <tom@×××××××××××.nz>
24
25 GnuPG Key: 12834220
26 Fingerprint: AF47 70FA 03B5 0EE7 E9B5
27 B91F 3636 C516 1283 4220
28
29 This message is transmitted using 100% recycled electrons.
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list