From: Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] draft glep: multi-repo
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 01:04:57
1 On Sun, Dec 18, 2005 at 12:24:48AM +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sat, 17 Dec 2005 16:14:15 -0800 Brian Harring <ferringb@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | What remaining straw men are there for ignoring the portage
5 > | developers requests?
6 >
7 > Asking you to specify how multiple repositories will work before I try
8 > to extend the GLEP to support multiple repositories is hardly a straw
9 > man argument.
10
11 Do you need to know how every bit of a car works to drive it? No.
12
13 We're simply asking you to tag in a repo_id to your calls to portage.
14 It's bloody simple, just need to know what you explicitly need from a
15 news client standpoint.
16
17 Stop being a stubborn mule, and realize that you're trying to shove a
18 feature into portage that *we* have to maintain, including your built
19 in design flaw for N repos.
20
21 If you can't accept our criticism and suggestions for your glep, tough
22 cookies, we're the ones stuck maintaining it, and the users are the
23 one stuck when we expand portage functionality (thus breaking your
24 implementation).
27 > *shrug* But if you prefer, I'll change the GLEP to
28 > support multiple repositories the way I'd like to see them done rather
29 > than the way you'd like.
30
31 Ciaranm, cut the word games and stupid threats.
32
33 If you can't work with others, and actually understand that they may
34 not agree with your views (let alone be willing to have you dump a
35 mess on them), I suggest you leave the distro and go work on your
36 social skills.
37
38 Propose the glep however you want.
39
40 As long as the glep is around, I'm going to do the same you do- point
41 out the flaws in it. If you're unwilling to even nail down what is
42 needed so that all parties are happy, that's fine- I would expect the
43 council to realize the glep (heavily affecting the portage group,
44 since server and client side mods fall on our head) needs to be worked
45 out further and thus reject it.
46
47 Or, you stop debating the fact portage group might have a say in this,
48 and start discussing what needs to be done so progress is made.
49
50 Balls in your court, you know we view it as unacceptable right now, if
51 you're not willing to work with us there isn't much that can be done.
52
53 ~harring