From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Packages broken by phase ordering change
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 05:52:30
1 On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 18:21:24 -0700
2 Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sat, 2008-06-14 at 15:09 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > > On Fri, 13 Jun 2008 21:55:29 +0200
6 > > "Santiago M. Mola" <coldwind@g.o> wrote:
7 > > > As discussed in bug #222721, portage has changed the execution
8 > > > order of phases. It seems the change was introduced in
9 > > > portage-2.1.5 and it makes that, when upgrading a package,
10 > > > pkg_postinst is run after the old version has been removed. This
11 > > > breaks packages which use has_version in pkg_postinst to detect
12 > > > upgrades/downgrades. It can also break packages in more subtle
13 > > > ways.
14 > >
15 > > Given that the number of affected ebuilds is so high, I'd say
16 > > Portage should have to revert the changes...
17 >
18 > Of course, you would. What else would we expect from you?
19 >
20 > > This is an EAPI scope change, if anything. Although even then the
21 > > implications are a bit messy since you're talking the interaction of
22 > > two different EAPIs.
23 >
24 > It seems that everything these days is an EAPI scope change. That's
25 > not very useful for Gentoo, considering it's been quite some time
26 > since PMS was proposed and we've not seen approval for either EAPI=0
27 > or EAPI=1 (or PMS, for that matter). What we have gotten is a
28 > half-assed "you can use EAPI=1 in the tree to get these enumerated
29 > features" from the Council, but that's nothing like acceptance of a
30 > spec. Perhaps if you spent a little more time doing something more
31 > constructive than being an asshat on the lists, PMS would have been
32 > approved long ago. Of course, that doesn't mesh well with your
33 > apparent need to be a complete dick to people, so continue on with
34 > the status quo.
35
36 I don't want to start yet another hundred post thread here[i], but our
37 etiquette policy applies to everyone here, and I would have hoped that
38 as a senior developer you could at least try to take the high road and
39 set an example.
40
41 I know this is hypocritical coming from someone who recently called you
42 a giant flaming asshole, but I've been trying hard since to be more
43 civil because I realize that kind of behaviour is unacceptable and
44 nonconstructive (and again I apologize).
45
46 I'm not picking you out here, this applies to all of us (you too
47 Ciaran). I mean c'mon, let's quit the bitching and get shit done
48 already.
49
50 [i] IOW don't reply to this mail please :P
54 gcc-porting, by design, by neglect
55 treecleaner, for a fact or just for effect
56 wxwidgets @ gentoo EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662