From: "Stephen P. Becker" <geoman@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] keywording alternate architectures
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:36:19
1 Hello everyone,
2
3 Currently the mips port has a rather lengthy list of repoman deps that
4 are not keyworded. We are aware of this fact and are working on
5 fixing it.
6
7 However, a lot of the packages in our repoman list that have
8 been keyworded were apparently done so by non mips devs who failed to even
9 mention it in the Changelog for the package. Some of these are just plain
10 stupid! For example:
11
12 media-video/ogle/ogle-0.9.1.ebuild: ~mips ['>=media-libs/a52dec-0.7.3',
13 '>=media-libs/libdvdcss-1.2.2', '>=media-libs/libdvdread-0.9.4']
14
15 Even having this keyworded for mips is completely asinine right now for
16 a few reasons. The only supported machine under X for mips has a terribly
17 slow, unaccelerated video driver. So even if the processing power of the
18 maching was enough to decode a dvd (which it may or may not be depending on
19 optimizations within the code of the program itself...but most likely
20 not), it wouldn't work. Another reason is that most of these machines
21 don't even have a cd-rom, let alone a dvd-rom.
22
23 Basically what I'm trying to say here is if repoman is giving you some
24 hell about deps for mips, let one of us know on #gentoo-mips or through
25 email. Please do not keyword it blindly! In the meantime you can get
26 around it with the -I switch to repoman if it is really necessary. I will
27 be un-keywording stuff that I know should not have keywords for mips. I
28 know this could cause some more problems in the short run, but it will
29 make things better for in the long run by not introducing broken packages.
30
31 Steve Becker (geoman)
34 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list