From: Aisha Tammy <gentoo.dev@×××××.cc>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New project: binhost
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2021 18:52:05
1 On 2/10/21 12:57 PM, Andreas K. Hüttel wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I'm announcing a new project here - "binhost"
5 >
6 > "The Gentoo Binhost project aims to provide readily installable, precompiled
7 > packages for a subset of configurations, via central binary package hosting.
8 > Currently we are still in the conceptual planning stage. "
9 >
10 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Binhost
11 >
12 > If you're interested in helping out, feel free to add yourself on the wiki
13 > page.
14 >
15 > Note that I see actually *building* the packages not as the central point of
16 > the project (that could be e.g. a side effect of a tinderbox). I'm more
17 > concerned about
18 > * what configurations should we use
19 maybe to start with, desktop profiles (gnome/qt/none + systemd/openrc) are
20 a good idea, these are the people who would benefit most.
21 This may not be enough, most people also enable extra flags
22 polkit/elogind/ttf/otf/wayland/pulseaudio
23 We can start with a default and gather feedback as to what new flags should
24 be enabled.
25 > * what portage features are still needed or need improvements (e.g. binpkg
26 > signing and verification)
27 somehow checking valid CFLAG/etc. compatibility, not sure how.
28 Some packages fail when built with differing flags
29 > * how should hosting look like
30 Something like the list of profiles in eselect profile
31 (replace https by protocol of choice):
32
33   https://binpkg.gentoo.org/amd64/17.1/desktop/
34   https://binpkg.gentoo.org/amd64/17.1/desktop/gnome/
35
36 could potentially also be mirrored on rsync mirrors.
37
38 Cheers,
39 Aisha
40 > * and how we can test this on a limited scale before it goes "into production"
42 >
43 > Comments, ideas, flamebaits? :D
44 >
45 > Cheers,