From: Dan Douglas <ormaaj@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] bash-4.4 - call for testers
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2016 16:35:29
1 On Sat, Oct 1, 2016 at 10:40 AM, konsolebox <konsolebox@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > I should also add that testing newer versions of bash becomes more
3 > risky sometimes, since bash would sometimes need a newer version of
4 > readline (see https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-bash/2016-09/msg00020.html).
5 > Rebuilding or installing a newer version of readline would cause some
6 > other packages that depend on it to be rebuilt as well.
7 >
8 > If bash and readline become multi-slotted (or shared if there's a
9 > difference), it would be easier to test them. Other stuff would also
10 > not need to be rebuilt immediately.
11
12 AFAIK upstream doesn't technically support unbundled readline anyway. If
13 newer readline isn't tested with older bashes it would be miraculous
14 for it to be backwards-compatible with every bash version in the tree.
15
16 I'd be perfectly happy requiring bundled readline when USE="readline"
17 for bash versions incompatible with the installed readline, or simply
18 depending on USE="-readline" for those versions. I rarely if ever use
19 interactive mode with anything other than my system default /bin/bash.