From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] DistroWatch and Gentoo packages: status quo and future
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 10:58:03
1 On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 06:47:27 -0400, Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o>
2 wrote:
3 > Jesús Guerrero wrote:
4 >>
5 >> Most Gentoo users will have no problem to use overlays as they need
6 >> them. If we had more developers we could as maintain more packages,
7 >> as simple as that.
10 > I actually tend to agree with this position,
11
12 It's not something to agree or disagree. There aren't developers to
13 maintain
14 all the software under the sun, period.
15
16 > however to use overlays as
17 > a valid solution for end-users we need to do more to support them.
18
19 Yeah, devs for that as well.
20
21 > Right now it is at least a little painful to get set up with an overlay.
24 No, it's a matter of using layman -a <whatever>
25
26 > There also isn't really any official place to vet overlays, and there
27 > isn't any official source for overlays that aren't maintained by gentoo.
28 >
29 > Sure, overlays.g.o has tons of overlays - but which ones are
30 > mostly-stable, and which ones are intended to break systems? What is
31 > the QA policy for each overlay? If I'm an end-user not interested in
32 > breaking my system, what overlays are safe for me to use?
33
34 There's no policy. Just like unofficial repos for any other distro.
35 We can't control that. It's outside Gentoo.
36
37 While I agree that having more packages and being more up to date is
38 a good thing, I can never agree that we should sacrifice Gentoo for that.
39 You want stability for what I see on your answer, well, that's what you
40 have. I don't think we can do any more with the number of developers we
41 have right now unless we start dumping blindingly and without any check
42 every ebuild that we get across.
45 Jesús Guerrero