From: Ryan Hill <dirtyepic@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] GCC 4.6 status
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 02:56:29
1 A bunch of users have been emailing me asking when 4.6 will be unmasked. I
2 really want to get it out the door already but we have a (IMO) substantial
3 blocker. A small number of users have reported that grub built with 4.6
4 fails to boot their systems. See the last half of bug #360513 for details.
5 That report is actually two bugs, the first one had to do with .text.unlikely
6 sections and was easy to reproduce without boot failures so I was able to
7 accidentally fix it. The second I cannot reproduce and cannot get anyone
8 brave and dumb enough to break their systems in the name of science for me.
9 Several people have promised to go do some testing and have never been heard
10 from again. Whether that is disappointing or ominous is left up to you.
11
12 My current plan is to wait until someone smarter than me points out the
13 obvious solution. Barring that, I'll be out of the country in a couple weeks
14 and will unmask it when I get back. There should be several willing testers
15 shortly after that.
16
17 https://bugs.gentoo.org/360513
21 fonts, gcc-porting, it makes no sense how it makes no sense
22 toolchain, wxwidgets but i'll take it free anytime
23 @ gentoo.org EFFD 380E 047A 4B51 D2BD C64F 8AA8 8346 F9A4 0662