From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: vala.eclass: change vala_src_prepare behavior when USE=-vala
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 22:43:46
1 Pacho Ramos posted on Thu, 20 Sep 2012 20:02:47 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > El jue, 20-09-2012 a las 09:10 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh escribió:
4 >> On Thu, 20 Sep 2012 08:43:11 +0200 Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
5 >> wrote:
6 >> > El jue, 20-09-2012 a las 02:14 -0400, Alexandre Rostovtsev escribió:
7 >> > > Revised to use a separate variable for the name of the flag instead
8 >> > > of reading IUSE, as suggested by Ciaran McCreesh. As a result of
9 >> > > this change, vala.eclass now defaults to assuming that vala support
10 >> > > is optional (which is the case in an overwhelming majority of
11 >> > > ebuilds that would want to use this eclass).
12 >> >
13 >> > Sorry but, why even in_iuse function from eutils.eclass cannot be
14 >> > used? If that is really not allowed, why we have that function in
15 >> > eutils.eclass?
16 >>
17 >> We had this discussion when the function was introduced. It's supposed
18 >> to be used for cosmetic things only.
21 > What are "cosmetics" things? Also, what do you mean by "It's supposed"?
22 > Who should decide what "is supposed" and what not?
23
24 I had forgotten that until Ciaran jogged my memory, but I believe I
25 remember the discussion about it now.
26
27 "Cosmetic" in this case means things like post-install reminder messages,
28 etc. Things that don't affect actual ebuild functionality to the point
29 of breaking packages, but only affect things like elog messages.
30
31 And in context, "supposed" would be that while the eclass function was
32 added over the objection of it conflicting with PMS, the objections were
33 dropped (as opposed to taking it to devrel and/or thru to council...
34 which after all approves PMS wording) when the people in favor of the
35 function agreed to only use it for non-critical (that is, cosmetic, as
36 described above, generally messages only) functionality. Using it for
37 anything that actually changes what's installed would be a violation of
38 that agreement, and thus, could result in complaints, which could be
39 taken thru qa, devrel and ultimately up to council, if the disagreement
40 couldn't be worked out some other way, before it got to that level.
41
42 That's from memory, but I expect if someone bothers to go dig around in
43 the archives, it'll be found to be reasonably accurate.
48 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman