From: Michael Kohl <citizen428@××××××.org>
To: Joseph Hardin <jhlazer@×××××××.net>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] (FS) Attributes for Ebuilds?
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 07:24:42
1 On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 01:02:35 -0600
2 Joseph Hardin <jhlazer@×××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > Why do this at a filesystem level? I may be missing the point, but why
5 > not just incorporate this into a seperate tool and keep a file to
6 > store all the comments and data.
7
8 Because:
9
10 a. it should be faster (at least judging from my admittedly limited
11 experience with this matter)
12 b. you wouldn't have to build a new tool, filesystems
13 capable of handling these kind of attributes have them already
14 c. live queries are pretty nifty and maybe much harder to
15 incorporate with files (in a live query you show all files having
16 a specific atrribute set, when a new file with this attribute is created
17 it immediately shows up in this selection). If you find a BeOS zealot
18 I'm sure he can explain all this much better to you, because
19 that's one of the things quite a lot of people seemed to like about
20 BeFS.
21 d. all this benefits without having to force a database as a dependancy
22 on Gentoo users.
23
24 Also note that I didn't propose or request this, I was just interested
25 in some feedback and discussion if/why this is a good/bad approach in
26 handling this category issue (and others, like if the name of a package
27 changes you maybe could keep the old name as an attributes). I just
28 think that Portage is hell of a package managment system and think
29 discussion about how to further improve it (even my suggestion
30 may not even be an improvement, but let the people who know
31 Portage much better than I do clarify this) couldn't hurt.
32
33 Michael
34
35 P.S. I'm CC'ing this to the list, I hope it's ok for you, but I don't
36 want to answer a similar question again.
39 www.cargal.org
40 GnuPG-key-ID: 0x90CA09E3
41 Jabber-ID: citizen428 [at] cargal [dot] org
42 Registered Linux User #278726