From: Ben Calvert <ben@××××××××××××××.com>
To: "Sean P. Kane" <spkane@××××××××××.com>
Cc: livewire@g.o, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Creating a Stage 3 for Custom LiveCD
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 18:12:13
Sean P. Kane said:
> I am working on creating a Multi-OS Rescue CD (i.e. not just for > rescuing a Linux system) and am doing my first very basic test build > with livecd-ng. I was wondering how one builds a custom stage3 tar, > other then simply untarring it and copying your own files over.
I generally roll my own in a chrooted environment on my faster servers (3x Dell 2650s with distcc ) and then tar up the results. If you're doing your own installs, you're not bound by what Daniel puts in the various stages - mine typically have everything but the kernal compile, grub, fstab, /etc/hosts, and /etc/hostname. As much as I love watching things compile, I'll never go back to compiling KDE on a standalone syste :) OTOH, If you're building a rescue cd, you don't actually need any stages at all. I regularly use the latest ISO to mount ntfs volumes and fix issues with them. I've never tried to mount a UFS volume, so I don't know if this would work on a *BSD machine, but then those rarely need rescuing anyway. -- gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list