From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev-announce@l.g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Multilib going live for stable amd64 on 2015-03-29
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2015 13:21:07
1 Hello, everyone.
2
3 I would like to gladly announce that the gx86-multilib project has
4 finally reached the level of maturity allowing us to aim for stable
5 amd64. The few blockers left can be fixed with a single commit
6 at the time of the switch, so we'd like to set up the final date
7 as 2015-03-29, that is two weeks from now.
8
9 This day, the emul-linux-x86 packages will be lastrited, and abi_x86_32
10 USE flags will be stable-unmasked on all packages. The users will be
11 given a news item explaining how to migrate the existing systems
12 and how to use the new system.
13
14 This also means that packages in all repositories that haven't updated
15 their dependencies yet will become broken and can cause terrible
16 blockers. Therefore, please seriously consider updating (or masking)
17 your ebuilds. However, after the switch, the dependencies will be much
18 easier to write.
19
20 If possible, please give the no-emul-linux-x86 sub-profiles some more
21 testing. Please note that you will likely want to ensure that you are
22 using the newest Portage version available before the upgrade, and you
23 may need to unmerge the emul-linux-x86 packages manually.
26 Best regards,
27 Michał Górny