From: Stefano Peluchetti <pelux@××××××××××.it>
To: Gentoo-dev m-list <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] stable and unstable branches. (auto-bug reports???)
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 04:29:00
1 Ben Lutgens wrote:
2 > On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 12:12:45AM +0200, Stefano Peluchetti wrote:
3 >
4 >>I know of this problem.
5 >>The thing that amazes me is that i very rarely find a bug report for the
6 >>ebuild that doesn't work for me. I usaually commit the bugs i find but
7 >>now it seems clear that some people does'nt do so.
8 >>I thing it could be a good idea at this point to introduce an automatic
9 >>(user indipendent) bug report in portage, so that if ebuild compiling
10 >>fails or some other errors arise, portage automagically submit a bug to
11 >>the bug dabatabase of gentoo. That should speed up bugfixing (at lease
12 >>for the majors bugs that prevent even building) and should' nt be that
13 >>hard to implement in portage.
16 > People would go postal if gentoo was making network connections from thier
17 > boxen to our servers without thier knowledge. And rightly so.
18 >
19 > I'm in favor of an interactive bug report tool but bugzilla wouldn't
20 > facilitate that very well. Frankly I'd rather the users take a few mins to
21 > verify they have a bug, organize thier thoughts about it and then post.
22 >
23 > And please, please, don't use bugzilla as a discussion board for your
24 > issues, work them out on the lists or forums untill you know it's a bug.
27 Ok, but a simple message like:
28 "A problem arise with e-build xxx. Could i automaitcally submit a bug
29 report for you? [Y/N]" should'nt do the work?
30 Also a little wizard that places needed information for bug report could
31 be a different soluction.
32 But i think that this will make the work easier only for user who wants
33 to spend their time submitting bugs. I may be wrong, but i thnink that a
34 lot of gentoo user doesn't submit bug reports (as mantainer alway
35 says!). And things won't change (i hope i'm wrong but....)
36 To me it didn't sound that bad to have an used indipendent suluction.
37 Myabe an intermediate soluction? ( a spearate bug report database, where
38 mantainer looks, and decide to submit a bug to the official database
39 (it' a real bug! :D )or discard it (the user is an idiot! :P ).
40 Thanks.
41
42 Stefano Pelux