From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××××××.eu>
To: "gentoo-dev@l.g.o" <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: oldnet scripts splitting out from OpenRC
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 16:45:09
1 Please don't do this. It sounds to me like a stupid move, what are you
2 trying to accomplish? You already use Git/GitHub...
3 Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
4 flameeyes@×××××××××.eu — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/
7 On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 5:16 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
8 > All,
9 >
10 > it has been suggested that gentoo's oldnet scripts be split out into
11 > their own package separate from OpenRC so that they can be developed
12 > independently. I am looking at doing this for OpenRC 0.12, which I hope
13 > to release soon.
14 >
15 > This means when you emerge or upgrade to openrc-0.12, the net.* scripts
16 > will no longer be included. I am going to call the separate package that
17 > includes these scripts gentoo-oldnet.
18 >
19 > My plan is to write a newsitem when OpenRC 0.12 is released
20 > telling users this and that they will have to emerge gentoo-oldnet to
21 > get the gentoo networking scripts or turn on the newnet (maybe I'll
22 > change this to net) use flag to get OpenRC's network scripts installed
23 > and put ewarns in the ebuild if this use flag is turned off.
24 >
25 > I feel that a newsitem and ewarns in the OpenRC ebuild cover live
26 > systems well. In a nutshell, users should pay attention to their news
27 > items and ewarns.
28 >
29 > On the other hand, some are suggesting that I should add a runtime
30 > dependency to OpenRC so that it pulls in gentoo-oldnet. Since OpenRC
31 > doesn't need gentoo-oldnet in order to run, I feel like this would be
32 > abusing dependencies.
33 >
34 > Does anyone have any thoughts?
35 >