From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Code Review Systems Was: [gentoo-dev] Git Migration: launch plan & schedule
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2015 07:20:03
1 On Mon, 06 Jul 2015 19:20:14 +0200 hasufell wrote:
2 > On 07/05/2015 08:05 AM, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
3 > > On Sat, 4 Jul 2015 20:20:23 +0200 Peter Stuge wrote:
4 > >> It's important that the review flow is well-understood and efficient.
5 > >
6 > > This is impossible in our case due to the lack of manpower.
7 > > We already have a lot of bugs, patches, stabilization requests
8 > > hanging over there for months and even years. Stabilization request
9 > > will require at least two developers to participate in each commit.
10 > > This will double manpower required at least. Such approach can kill
11 > > the whole project.
14 > People misinterpret "manpower". If we successfully switch to a
15 > code-review approach, then we will need _less_ manpower in the sense of
16 > actual gentoo developers.
17
18 You're mixing different issues here. Code review process for
19 contributors (outside of development team) will indeed save time
20 and manpower. But code review for each developer commit will kill
21 time and effort undoubtedly, while net quality will have little to
22 negligible improvement.
23
24 Best regards,
25 Andrew Savchenko