From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: moving default location of portage tree
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2018 17:27:05
1 On Mon, Jul 9, 2018 at 1:21 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > All,
4 >
5 > is there a tracker for when the portage tree can be moved out of
6 > /usr/portage by default?
9 I suspect the answer is 'whenever' but that mostly depends on
10 implementation and what you want to accomplish.
11
12 Do you want:
13
14 - All hosts everywhere to move from $CURRENT to $NEW?
15 - Only new installs to move from $CURRENT to $NEW?
19 > If not, what is the status of us being able to do this?
22 The former is probably 3 times easier than the latter.
23 - Get testers to move their tree and report issues[0].
24 - Change the stage3 defaults to be the new location.
25 - Explicitly do nothing else.
26
27 New installs will get the new location, old installs will get the old
28 location.
29
30 The latter is harder (one must design and execute a migration for existing
31 installs) and I suspect the value of such a migration is low and the risk
32 high.
33 Is there any advantage to migrating existing installs?
34
35 [0] A number of people already point PORTDIR at some other location and
36 appear to operate without major issues.
40 > Thanks,
41 >
42 > William