From: oford <oford@×××.net>
To: "D. Tuinstra" <tuinstra@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Readme files for portage (was: A nice idea to improve portage)
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 15:54:41
1 On Wed, 2003-06-11 at 08:24, D. Tuinstra wrote:
2 > Michael Cummings wrote:
3 >
4 > > On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 11:37:02AM +0100, MooktaKiNG wrote:
5 > >> Another good reason to have a README is becuase sometimes people
6 > >> want to know more about a program. Without having to install it.
7 > >>
8 > >> If they can learn about the program before they install. They are
9 > >> more aware of how hard/easy the installtion is.
10 > >
11 > > I thought that was one of the reasons the source URL shows up in a
12 > > search. It's how I've always checked to see what a package does.
13 > > README files, imo, are great in theory but put additional
14 > > maintenance strain on a dev. Just my two euros,
15 > >
16 > > Mike
17 >
18 > As I see the original proposal, it was to give users essential
19 > post-install information regarding any further steps they need to
20 > take. This kind of information is different from pre-emerge info
21 > that a user uses to decide the desirability of a package.
22 >
23 > Pre-emerge info
24 > ---------------
25 > Still, a small README could be valuable in some situations. For
26 > example: "This package is included in portage for backwards
27 > compatability for systems that have to interoperate with
28 > MegaCruft's General Ledger FPS. If you don't have to do this you
29 > may wish to consider <KDE-alternate> or <GNOME-alternate>. They
30 > provide the same features within a modern UI, don't hog the CPU,
31 > and don't require you to do manual post-emerge steps. And BTW, the
32 > official site is a pathetic mass of marketing-speak, go to the
33 > user-group page at <URL> instead." This shouldn't be too much of a
34 > dev burden if it's optional and intended to communicate info that
35 > wouldn't be found on an official web page.
36 >
37 > A pre-emerge README feature runs the risk of encouraging
38 > editorializing (as above :-), but hey, as long as its kept
39 > reasonable that's part of the fun.
40 >
41 > Post-emerge info
42 > ----------------
43 > I'm all for it. My wish list: append each package's message to a
44 > file named something like "emerge_messages_<timestamp>". These
45 > would be stored in a standard location relative to the user running
46 > emerge. At the end of the emerge, if the file is empty portage
47 > deletes it and no mention is made of it. If the file is nonempty,
48 > portage displays a standard message directing the user to read it.
49 >
50 > Two new emerge commands: 'einfomsg' to write a string to the message
51 > file; 'einfocat' to cat a file to it.
52 >
53 > Messages written to the file should be no more than ~25 lines of
54 > text each, with some standard header (e.g., line of dashes, ebuild
55 > name, line of dashes). If 25 lines isn't enough room, the message
56 > should direct the user to more instructions in
57 > /usr/share/doc/<package>.
58
59 It should also state which ebuild it belongs to in a very prominent
60 place. I know it sounds obvious but that kind of detail is important :)
63 Owen Ford <oford@×××.net>