From: foser <foser@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] preference concerns over "gentoo-ization" of packages
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 16:24:49
1 On Sun, 2003-09-28 at 17:53, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > When you log out of kde, and you started your system with kdm (kde display
3 > manager) you get presented a nice dialog with the options to log out, reboot,
4 > or shutdown. However if you started the system with any other displaymanager,
5 > such as gdm, you don't get the menu. It would be conceivable that we at a
6 > point in time added patches to kdm so that it does the same with gdm (which
7 > provides the capabilities as gnome offers it too, but only for gdm). This is
8 > nonstandard, but desirable behaviour for most users. In some cases people
9 > want standard behaviour, for that we have a useflag.
10
11 Why is this desirable behaviour? I think it's the login managers task to
12 have these permissions, not a users session. The gnome-session
13 shutdown/reboot options are nonfunctional for security reasons. I think
14 the defaults we supply are very sensible, i see no need why we should
15 alter this. If people like to see this different, it is up to them to
16 change their configurations accordingly.
17
18 > Another thing is the fact that a script of gentoo overwrites the kdm config's
19 > session variable everytime. This provides consistent and easy behaviour by
20 > making all installed sessions automatically available, but is not appropriate
21 > in all cases. There must be a place to turn this behaviour of. Either through
22 > a USE variable at run time, or through a central configuration variable.
23
24 I don't know why this happens, but if it's really a sensible default
25 there is no need to have a USE flag. Again the few users that need to
26 have this another way can easily adapt the ebuild to their needs.
27
28 I can only describe this one way : you think like KDE-ers do. Thats why
29 it has this overabundance of settings which only works confusing. I know
30 for the tinkerers out there it's great, but for the general Joe HomeUser
31 or Jane OfficeAdmin it's pointless. The tinkerers can do the tinkering
32 themselves, we don't have to hold their hands.
33
34 - foser
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list