From: Hans de Graaff <graaff@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Files owned by multiple slots
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 17:59:28
1 On Tue, 2009-06-02 at 17:43 +0000, Sven wrote:
2
3 > (1)
4 > All gems should be installed from ebuilds only.
5 >
6 > (2)
7 > If an ebuild requires a gem, it has to be installed from the corresponding
8 > ebuild. For all other gems, Gentoo leaves the choice to the user and tries to
9 > work together as well as possible with RubyGems.
10 >
11 > Currently, reality is closer to (2) and I honestly don't believe it makes much
12 > sense to build the infrastructure to convert all gems to ebuilds automatically
13 > and timely enough for (1) to come true. If the delay were only hours, Ruby devs
14 > would rather use the RubyGems manager than waiting for the ebuild to appear.
15
16 My personal preference is still to follow [1] as much as possible,
17 because it allows me to handle all dependencies of a particular
18 application within a single system. At work we have a private overlay
19 which contains meta-ebuilds for our web applications, and I can use that
20 to set up a blank server for one of our web apps with one emerge
21 command, or update existing servers to new dependencies.
22
23 On the other hand I also don't believe that we should provide all 1500+
24 gems as ebuilds, either through a manual or automatic process. Right now
25 our rule of thumb is to add gems when they are popular (e.g. rails),
26 when they provide an application that has been requested, or when they
27 are needed as dependencies for either one of those.
28
29 We also have a Summer of Code project to break down the monolithic
30 default gem installation into Gentoo phases so that we can have more
31 fine-grained control over the build, test, and installation process.
32
33 Hans