From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Sharing portage?
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 14:11:04
1 On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 15:31 +0200, Molle Bestefich wrote:
2 > Hi
3 >
4 > Follow-up question to the backup thingy.
5 >
6 > Is there an easy way to share Portage's database between multiple
7 > virtual machines?
8 >
9 > Optimally, I would emerge --sync and the results would land in a
10 > filesystem that I'd share between VMs, so I don't have to do emerge
11 > --sync in each and all of them. The filesystem could perhaps be
12 > readonly to the virtual machines, except for the one doing the --sync
13 > of course.
14 >
15 > (Currently, I run emerge --sync in all virtual machines.)
16
17 I current use NFS to share my portage tree at home. All you need is to
18 store the portage tree on one machine. I would suggest the actual
19 machine the virtual machines run on, rather than the virtual machines
20 themselves, but you really can put them anywhere. You want the tree to
21 be writable, too, so that you can sync from any machine and also because
22 of distfiles.
25 Chris Gianelloni
26 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
27 x86 Architecture Team