From: Guilherme Amadio <amadio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Migrate to Phabricator
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2016 13:41:44
1 Hello,
2
3 On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 01:44:00PM +0200, Jonas Jelten wrote:
4 > Ohai!
5 >
6 > Phabricator is a fun adventure game: http://phabricator.org/
7 > It provides a tightly coupled set of project management tools.
8 >
9 > Many bigger projects (e.g. blender, mediawiki, ...) started using
10 > phabricator, it could also be very beneficial for gentoo.
11
12 The website lists "Companies probably using Phabricator", which not a
13 very good for transmitting trust.
14
15 We've just been through major migrations: moving to git, website
16 migration, etc. We should not forget all the work that has been put into
17 making the current system work for Gentoo, and I have to say, I think that
18 our new website looks really nice, gitweb looks great too, and we have a
19 really large history of bugs on bugzilla, that also has a Gentoo theme.
20 Migrating to something else would be a huge undertaking. That's why,
21 even though I use and like Atlassian tools, I never proposed a migration
22 to JIRA, bitbucket and other tools. If others would like moving to
23 something else, I believe that Atlassian tools are more attractive.
24 Yes, they are a proprietary company, but they do offer free licenses for
25 open source projects that could be hosted on Gentoo Infra.
26
27 https://www.atlassian.com/software/views/open-source-license-request
28
29 That said, I'm not saying we should move to Atlassian tools, just that
30 it's probably a better option than Phabricator, if such a big migration
31 happens. I think that what we have now is already pretty good.
32
33 > Migrating would contradict the apparent goal of integrating github more
34 > tightly, but still we could consider to use Phabricator instead,
35 > especially to dump bugzilla.
36
37 While I'm not particularly against integrating more tightly with GitHub,
38 there is no such goal in Gentoo as far as I can tell. As much as I like
39 GitHub, I do understand the concerns of others about making GitHub
40 essential. It has been blocked before in certain regions of the world,
41 and that's not good for us, regardless of the free vs proprietary
42 debate. I don't think that GitHub is evil or anything, but GitHub is a
43 nice place for extras, to interact with the user community, receive
44 patches, etc. It should not replace our own infra.
45
46 Cheers,
47 —Guilherme