From: Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>
To: gentoo-core@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] ANNOUNCING: Great 2003 Gentoo Bug Hunt (with prizes)
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2003 06:53:00
1 Hi All,
2
3 (please direct all replies to gentoo-dev only (if appropriate;) I'm
4 cross-posting this email so no one misses it.)
5
6 Today (Oct 1 2003) marks the beginning of the Great 2003 Gentoo Bug
7 Hunt.
8
9 What makes this bug hunt so "Great," you ask? I don't know. Hmm. How
10 about... bunches of free hardware to be awarded to the top bug
11 squashers? Yep, sounds good.
12
13 Here's how it works. Starting today and ending 23:59:59 Dec 31 2003 UTC,
14 we will keep a tally of total number of bug reports closed by developers
15 (actually, we'll run a mysql query in 3 months on Jan 1, but "keeping a
16 tally" reads better.) The top bug squashers will take their pick from a
17 cache of hardware components. The #1 squasher will get first pick, the
18 number 2 squasher second pick, etc.
19
20 The stash of things you can win will consist of new hardware components
21 (unless there's a really exceptional used component that is available --
22 the point is, all the stuff being raffled will be desirable, not
23 someone's old burnt-out Pentium 133): stuff like motherboards, CPUs
24 (maybe some mobo/cpu combos,) RAM, hard drives, video cards, etc. These
25 items will be purchased in late December in order to maximize the
26 up-to-dateness and yumminess of the to-be-awarded prizes.
27
28 It gets better. Thanks to the success of the Gentoo Store, it looks like
29 we may be able to do twice a year in 2004 at the very least.
30
31 Want to get involved, squash some bugs and possibly get some free
32 hardware? Here are some tips:
33
34 1. Be sure to participate in the upcoming Gentoo Bug Day on Sat, Oct 4
35 2003, and on the first Satuday of every month (Nov, Dec.)
36
37 2. Scour bugzilla for bugs that you can fix and/or close. To get credit
38 for a bug, assign it to yourself before you close it. Don't close a bug
39 unless you've really fixed the issue. Don't blow off or be mean to bug
40 submitters just so that you can close a bug. Professionalism is
41 important.
42
43 3. If you close dups, each dup you close *will* count. You're helping to
44 keep bugzilla clean and usable.
45
46 4. For bugs that contain new ebuilds to be added to Portage, you can
47 close the bug after the ebuild has been QA checked (by you) and added to
48 the tree (to unstable.) Do not add new ebuilds blindly, and do not add
49 new versions of existing packages without diffing with the most-recent
50 version currently in the tree -- sometimes, people use version 1.2 to
51 create 1.5, but we have 1.3 which includes an important build fix. And
52 if you add 1.5 without looking at 1.3, you might accidentally omit the
53 build fix which would be bad. (just a quick example.)
54
55 5. Respect herds and existing maintainers. Look at the Changelog and
56 metadata.xml. If the last committer is not an active dev, it is
57 certainly OK to take some initiative and close the bug yourself. But see
58 if they're active first. If they are, you might want to get their input
59 first (depending on the complexity of the package.) Beware of important
60 libraries and system packages, which should be treated with the utmost
61 care and deferred to the official maintainer(s) (according to
62 metadata.xml or ChangeLog.)
63
64 6. Likewise, if you are a developer who has a lot of bugs assigned to
65 you, but you haven't had the time to tackle your bugs, please *allow
66 others to close them for you.* Smile when they do. Let others help you
67 out.
68
69 7. Have fun! The time you spend hacking on Gentoo is appreciated, and I
70 hope these prizes will help make bug squashing a bit more exciting...
71 and rewarding.
72
73 Sincerely,
74