From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: lua upgrade plan
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2017 03:33:05
1 Hi,
2
3 On Sun, 2 Jul 2017 10:30:12 -0500 William Hubbs wrote:
4 > > All that said, in FLOSS, he who volunteers, makes the rules, and
5 > > particularly given the upstream opposition meaning more gentoo-level work
6 > > required, if there's nobody willing to support lua in gentoo with dynamic
7 > > linking...
8 >
9 > You are correct. Basically we have to write our own build system and
10 > keep it up to date for every version of lua in order to support this.
11
12 Why should we? We can borrow from other distributions like Debian
13 or Fedora. Of course some Gentoo-specific tuning may be required,
14 but it will be not writing from scratch.
15
16 > If someone can convince upstream to support it, this would be far better for
17 > everyone.
18
19 In the ideal world, yes, I agree with this. But we are in real
20 world with real lua developers unwilling to cooperate from what I
21 see.
22
23 Best regards,
24 Andrew Savchenko