From: "Michael Sterrett -Mr. Bones.-" <msterret@××××.com>
To: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Using cvs as your portage directory
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 23:26:02
1 On Tue, 23 Mar 2004, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2
3 > I might want to state that I personally do not use cvs as my portage tree. I
4 > have several reasons for this that you might consider:
5
6 I do use cvs as my portage tree (on one of my gentoo boxes) so I'll offer
7 some counter points for discussion.
8
9 > - It is always an advantage to see what the user sees
10
11 I agree with this (except for the "always"), but I've also found it useful
12 to see now what the users *will* see shortly. Several times this has
13 enabled me to fix things that would have been noticed by the users.
14
15 > - syncing up the whole tree is both slow and it puts an extra strain on
16 > cvs.gentoo.org
17
18 My usual routine is this: I sync the whole tree in the middle of the
19 night and then only update the parts that are touched (by watching
20 #gentoo-commits) during the day (if at all). I'm asleep when the full
21 sync goes so my level of patience isn't an issue and the updates during
22 the day shouldn't put an unreasonable strain on the server.
23
24 > - It is very easy to accidentally commit temporary fixes you made in your life
25 > tree. (this was esp. true with regard to package.mask that now can be
26 > overridden without editing the life tree)
27
28 I agree with this point, but I think it's highly dependent on the style
29 of development that you use. I have maybe one or two changes to the
30 portage tree that I'm testing on this box at any given moment so it's
31 easy to not commit those changes. There are quite a number of ebuilds
32 in my local portage tree that are "in progress" but since they haven't
33 been added to CVS yet, there's no risk of committing them. Generally,
34 I don't leave edits in the tree uncommitted.
35
36 Michael Sterrett
37 -Mr. Bones.-
38 mr_bones_@g.o