From: Nathan Zachary <nathanzachary@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Facilitating user contributed ebuilds (Was: [gentoo-dev] The future of the Sunrise project)
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2016 16:28:21
1 > GitHub Inc. is successful because they host a central location with
2 > "all the code on the Internet"; convenient for consumers and
3 > producers alike. Of course it is a fallacy, but it's convenient
4 > when it works.
5 >
6 > Ensure that Gentoo accomplishes the same for Gentoo.
7 >
8 > Do NOT - I repeat NOT - tie "user repos" to GitHub Inc., please do
9 > not even bother working on a prototype there (looking at you James),
10 > because if it is good enough it will stick, and as the social
11 > contract rightfully states, it's important to remain independent,
12 > so that Gentoo and Gentoo only can decide what it will offer.
15 > This is a wonderful idea which would benefit the community
16 > tremendously. I wish I had time to implement all of it immediately.
19 > Kind regards
20 >
21 > //Peter
22 >
23 I agree with the idea of NOT using GitHub. Though it is a great
24 resource, I second the idea that Gentoo should offer the repository
25 space in order to stay separate.
26
27 Cheers,
28 Nathan Zachary