From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] packages which won't support x32
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 12:34:38
1 On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 11:22 PM, Ben de Groot <yngwin@g.o> wrote:
2 > On 5 October 2012 22:28, "Paweł Hajdan, Jr." <phajdan.jr@g.o> wrote:
3 >> Should dev-lang/v8 get p.masked on x32 profile, or is there some better
4 >> way to handle it? What are your suggestions?
5 >
6 > From what Diego wrote about it, I would say we shouldn't spend much
7 > time and effort on x32. I know it's the new and shiny thing, but it
8 > doesn't seem very useful. I think arm64/aarch64/armv8 is more
9 > promising, if you want to play around with a new arch.
10
11 I wouldn't write it off, but the obvious thing to do for now is to
12 mask it. Longer-term the cleaner solution would be to not keyword it,
13 assuming it takes off enough to have keywords in the first place.
14
15 If people want to work on it they will, and that's fine. That said,
16 it took years for some of the big packages to be amd64-ready, and I'm
17 not sure x32 has nearly as much push behind it.
18
19 Rich