From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gentoo-functions is in the tree
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 17:08:55
1 On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 12:52 PM, William Hubbs <williamh@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 09:14:58AM -0400, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
3 >> ...why not? As you've said yourself, nothing related to openrc uses
4 >> /etc/init.d/functions.sh; if everything else in the tree is going to
5 >> use the new gentoo-functions "lib", why wouldn't custom end-user
6 >> scripts too?
7 >>
8 >> (again, scanned the bug, didn't see anything relevant to this)
9 >
10 > The relevance is that /etc/init.d/functions.sh is currently part of
11 > OpenRc's public API, and semantic versioning has a very specific
12 > description of how to deprecate functionality.
13 >
14 > If Gentoo needs the symlink after it is removed from OpenRc, I think
15 > that is the time we can talk about putting it in gentoo-functions.
18 If the goal is to be able to remove openrc from systems, how does it
19 help that we might fix any breakage after openrc no longer provides
20 it?
21
22 If the goal is to be able to remove openrc from systems, then
23 something else needs to provide the symlink. I guess in the meantime
24 users could just remove openrc and just manually install the symlink,
25 but that isn't really a clean solution.
26
27 Otherwise openrc can't be removed until anything that sources this is
28 fixed. If it all does get fixed, then the symlink isn't even needed
29 (though I suppose openrc can still provide it for any other distros
30 that use it).
31
32 Rich