From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: dropping redundant stable keywords
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2014 13:40:39
1 Tom Wijsman posted on Thu, 06 Feb 2014 11:10:53 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Wed, 5 Feb 2014 13:07:48 +0000 (UTC)
4 > Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net> wrote:
5 >
6 >> Tom Wijsman posted on Wed, 05 Feb 2014 13:58:22 +0100 as excerpted:
7 >>
8 >> > Can we do something about our growing queue when fixing is
9 >> > insufficient?
10 >> >
11 >> > [snip privileged link, see pngs links below]
12 >> >
13 >> > PS: As a bonus, here's a nice view of our stabilization queue over
14 >> > time:
15 >> >
16 >> > [another]
17 >> >
18 >> > Notice how the graph goes down near the dates the threads were made;
19 >> > although, if you would draw an average it would appear to be growing.
20 >>
21 >> Both those links give me this:
22 >>
23 >> Sorry, you aren't a member of the 'editbugs' group, and so you are not
24 >> authorized to use the "New Charts" feature.
25 >>
26 >> =:^(
29 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~tomwij/files/bgo-all-open-bugs.png
30 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~tomwij/files/bgo-all-open-key-and-stable.png
31 >
32 > Hmm, I think that certain usage of it can cause quite a server load;
33 > and that because of that this is in place, perhaps even by default.
34
35 Very likely. Thanks for the pngs. =:^)
36
37 It's worth noting specifically for those not too detail observant that
38 the dates graphed are much different.
39
40 The bgo-all-open-bugs graph is from late 2003 to the present, just over a
41 decade, and shows a general increase in open bugs from 4000 (the graph's
42 y-axis zero-point) in late 2003, to 20K today, with a dip in 2006 and
43 2007.
44
45 The bgo-all-open-key-and-stable graph is over a much shorter period,
46 April 2011 to today so not quite three years, with the beginning date
47 presumably an upgrade from an earlier bugzilla version without the
48 necessary tracking data, or possibly introduction of the keywords
49 tracked. It starts at zero in April 2011 and rises quickly to ~400 bugs
50 in late November of that year (2011), which a quick eyeballing suggests
51 as the earliest point at which it /might/ be accurate, since previous to
52 that most bugs were presumably without the necessary tracking data. The
53 peak is a couple months later, 1200 bugs, in January 2012. Presumably
54 it's reasonably accurate by then at the latest. The current number would
55 appear to be ~675.
56
57 Which leaves us basically two years of accurate tracking data on the key-
58 and-stable graph. And barring the intro period before Nov 2011 when it
59 clearly couldn't have been accurate yet, what jumps out at me is that
60 unlike the all-open-bugs graph (which grew from just over 18K to peak at
61 just over 20K and then drop down very slightly to perhaps 19,950 today,
62 thus growing by nearly 2000 bugs in two years, about a thousand a year, a
63 bit slower than the ~1600/year average over the decade), the keyword-and-
64 stable graph is a lot more volatile with a lot of vertical lines of ~300
65 bugs (a quarter of the graph height of 1200 bugs!) at a time, but...
66
67 ... actually seems rather stable at a near 600 bug center-graph average!
68
69 So while we clearly have a long-term trend of +1600 open bugs per year
70 overall over the last decade and somewhat under that, +1000 each the last
71 couple years, keyword/stablizations bugs are far more volatile over the
72 shorter two-year period we can assume we have reasonably accurate data
73 for, but to the extent a trend can be seen at all in the very noisy data
74 over the short two-year period, it appears pretty flat-lined. If
75 anything, the trend over the first year was down while the trend over the
76 second has been up, but given the size of the verticals and the fact that
77 our current ~675 is just over half the 1200 peak, there's really just not
78 enough data yet to see a clear trend, and any trend that might be seen
79 could just as easily be interpreter's bias.
80
81 That's a bit surprising given the topic of this thread. I'd have
82 expected at least /some/ upward trend. Tho honestly, two years simply
83 isn't enough history to tell, given the quarter-graph verticals.
84
85 Now what /might/ be interesting is a similar graph of keyword/stable bugs
86 open say 90+ days. I'd say 180+ too, but at two years of reliable data,
87 that'd only give us a year and a half of 180+ to work with, 3X the 180
88 day, which is very likely simply EINSUFFICIENTDATA.
89
90 Meanwhile, any idea what the explanation is for the drop in the all-open-
91 bugs graph in 2006 and 2007? The only thing that comes to mind here is
92 that it might be the effect of tree-cleaners getting to work? Does that
93 match their timing and work? If so, WOW! =:^) But then what happened in
94 2008 that lead to a 4K increase in open bugs in one year? =:^(
99 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman