From: Haas Wernfried <w.haas@×××××××××××××××××××.at>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New GLEP draft: Status of forum moderators in the Gentoo project
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 08:34:37
1 On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 02:15:22AM +0100, Roy Marples wrote:
2 > As an ex site/forum admin (non Gentoo) I really have to ask what kind of
3 > "quality assurance" you're dealing with here.
4 Our current procedure is that we think quite a lot about whom to make
5 moderator and whom not. This procedure has never been written down, so
6 theoretically one of the admins _could_ make some random asshat with 4 posts
7 administrator as well. Writing down the procedure should keep
8 something from that from happening.
9
10 > Are we talking profane language or just about moving a post of "how do I
11 > install do xyz" to the right forum?
12 You may want to take a look at the current version of the forum
13 guide: http://curtis119.no-ip.org/forum-guide.xml
14 People get upset about being treated unfair pretty fast [1] and
15 every deleted post raises the conspiracy thread level by 1, so having
16 clear rules where to move a post may be more important than you
17 think. ;-)
18
19 [1] http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-341099.html
20
21 > And I do have to ask - what information flow? At the most, Gentoo devs
22 > read the forum and post there. After that, forum users have to contact
23 > devs via IRC or b.g.o - at best both parties have to read the forums or
24 > use IRC, at present people post bugs to get attention. I fail to see how
25 > forums can improve the "information flow" when a vast proportion of devs
26 > don't even read the forums.
27
28 I think it's pretty clear, b.g.o is for bugs and forums for
29 support. Reading forums isn't required for developers. The information
30 flow thingie works in both directions though. Personally i'm not
31 really comfortable with getting to know things the same moment a user
32 gets to know them, because some things are discussed on -core,
33 etc. Some devs may not even know us forums guys as well as we don't
34 know all developers - which greatly reduces the information flow as
35 well.
36
37 > Maybe I'm getting old or summat, but isn't this more of a "Here's how we
38 > want to recruit for the forums mods" proposal rather than a "Gentoo
39 > Linux Enhancement Proposal"?
40
41 > Cool - here's the feedback in a nutshell.
42 > Thumbs up aside from once thing - why the need for a GLEP?
43
44 First we thought about sending a mail to gentoo-dev with "Hi, we wanna
45 be official gentoo staff as well, kthxbyebye", but that might not have
46 been very productive. A glep was chosen because it seems to be the
47 best way to change something in the organisation of Gentoo:
48
49 "We intend GLEPs to be the primary mechanisms for proposing
50 significant new features, for collecting community input on an issue,
51 and for documenting the design decisions that have gone into Gentoo
52 Linux. The GLEP author is responsible for building consensus within
53 the community and documenting dissenting opinions." [2]
54
55 [2] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0001.html#what-is-a-glep
56
57 cheers,
58 Wernfried (amne)
61 Fppmpppffpppmpfpffmffmppmpm Mfpmmmmmmfmm
63 mfpfmpfmppfm://fpfppffpmmpppff.ppmfmfmpm.mmmfmp/~mmmppmpppmpppppmffppfppp/
64 http://www.namesuppressed.com/kenny/
65 --
66 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list