From: Kristian Fiskerstrand <k_f@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Deleting old news items
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2018 22:53:44
1 On 01/05/2018 11:47 PM, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
2 > On 01/05/2018 11:40 PM, Alec Warner wrote:
3 >>> I might sound like a broken CD here, but why define the expiration as
4 >>> part of the news format instead of specifying it in the package manager
5 >>> as a user defined variable? Various use cases requires different
6 >>> treatment, so leaving it up to user seems more relevant to me, and we
7 >>> could allow information to be presented as part of stages to give a hint
8 >>> for what dates to look for?
9 >>>
10 >> The short answer is I haven't seen any real use cases for it and even if we
11 >> were to spec it out and add it, I don't think it would be used by more than
12 >> 10 people. To me that is an incentive to avoid complicating the software
13 >> spec.
14 >
15 > From my point of view it requires less specification, as it doesn't
16 > require a policy for how to set the expiration date, but allowing some
17 > flexibility on the part of the user base.
18 >
19 > There are rather big differences e.g between a server upgrade pattern
20 > and a desktop system, how would you account for that in the expire date?
21 > in particular for non security relevant upgrades, e.g profile changes?
25 Lets take another real-life example; I have two machines A and B. A is
26 one a stage3 install from before switching from 13.0. to 17.0 and B is
27 on the latter. As a developer, how would you specify expiration for
28 switch between profiles?
31 Kristian Fiskerstrand
32 OpenPGP keyblock reachable at hkp://pool.sks-keyservers.net
33 fpr:94CB AFDD 3034 5109 5618 35AA 0B7F 8B60 E3ED FAE3