From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] What are Gentoo releases?
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 18:01:43
1 Dear all,
2 I would like to get a discussion rolling about what, exactly,
3 constitutes a Gentoo release, and what we want to accomplish with any
4 given release. I'm forwarding (with Aron's permission) an e-mail that
5 agriffis sent to -releng describing his view about what our release
6 process currently is. I believe that this description does describe
7 the current process reasonably well, but perhaps some may disagree.
8 More important, is this process what we _want_ our release process to
9 be? Gentoo "releases" are different from those of any other
10 distribution, inasmuch as the "version" of Gentoo that a user is
11 running (meaning what collection of packages are on the user's
12 machine) depends on what *hour* Gentoo was installed, so from a
13 technical standpoint the "release" has more to do with the
14 installation medium than anything else. At the same time, it is
15 important to recognize that releases also serve a public-relations
16 purpose. Take a look at OpenBSD's recent release,
17 http://www.openbsd.org/35.html. The "What's New" section of that page
18 is fairly extensive, and distrowatch and other news sites have
19 provided OpenBSD with a fair amount of coverage about their new release.
20 Even if we maintain a calendar-based release system, should we also
21 be striving to make releases goal-oriented as well? If so, how do we
22 go about doing so?
23
24 Some thoughts,
25 g2boojum
26
27 ----- Forwarded message from Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o> -----
28
29 From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
30 Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 14:48:25 -0400
31 To: gentoo-releng@l.g.o
32 User-Agent: Mutt/1.5.6i
33 Subject: Re: [gentoo-releng] Meeting time
34
35 Hi Jon,
36
37 ZhEN wrote: [Mon May 10 2004, 10:53:19AM EDT]
38 > Please find attached the compiled list of features that I fielded
39 > from -dev, -core, and personal e-mails.
40
41 My perception of the current release process is this: We set a date
42 for release. Developers work on features. Whatever is done in time
43 for the release is what goes in, the other stuff waits for the next
44 release. IMHO, part of the point of doing more frequent releases is
45 to ease pressure from developers; if we can't finish a given feature,
46 then we know there will be another release in 3 months, so it's okay.
47
48 So I don't understand this list of potential features for 2004.2.
49 Shouldn't this be maintained separately from the release process? Why
50 is releng meeting to talk about this list?
51
52 Regards,
53 Aron
54
55 --
56 Aron Griffis
57 Gentoo Linux Developer (alpha / baselayout / ia64 / mozilla / mutt / ruby / vim)
58
59 ----- End forwarded message -----
60
61 --
62 Grant Goodyear
63 Gentoo Developer
64 g2boojum@g.o
65 http://www.gentoo.org/~g2boojum
66 GPG Fingerprint: D706 9802 1663 DEF5 81B0 9573 A6DC 7152 E0F6 5B76