From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Reminder: Python 2.7 & 3.6 cleanup incoming
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2020 23:36:32
1 Hello, everyone.
2
3 I would like to issue one final reminder that Python 2.7 and 3.6
4 support in Gentoo is nearing its end. Per the timeline announced
5 earlier:
6
7 1. On 2021-01-01 the remaining blocker packages will be last rited,
8 with non-extensible 30 day removal time. This means specifically:
9
10 py2 package:
11 games-engines/renpy
12
13 its dependency:
14 dev-python/numpy-python2
15
16 its revdeps:
17 games-misc/katawa-shoujo
18 games-rpg/asphyxia
19 games-rpg/sakura-spirit
20 games-rpg/the-royal-trap
21
22 2. Starting 2021-01-01, I will aggressively push towards stabilizing
23 and cleaning up packages whose old versions block py2.7 or py3.6
24 removal.
25
26 3. As soon as all blockers are gone, I will disable py2.7 and py3.6
27 in the eclasses (py2.7 will still be permitted for python-any-r1).
28
29 4. After disabling py3.6, I will last rite the remaining backports with
30 14 day removal time:
31
32 dev-python/aiocontextvars
33 dev-python/contextvars
34 dev-python/dataclasses
37 Note that as indicated earlier, we are not going to remove Python 2.7
38 support entirely -- we will only prohibit installing any packages using
39 Python 2.7 at runtime. The python-any-r1 eclass will continue
40 supporting it for the time being (I will submit a patch for review
41 later on).
42
43 Python 3.6 support will be removed entirely from the eclasses
44 but the interpreter will stay for as long as it continues being
45 maintainable. Upstream is planning to issues security fixes until
46 2021-12, and after that we will move it to ::python.
47
48 Both Python 2.7 and Python 3.6 will still be usable inside virtualenv
49 (though note that new versions of virtualenv may remove support
50 for py2.7).
53 Best regards,
54 Michał Górny