From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: adding sbin directories to PATH for all users
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2015 18:15:46
1 On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 06:36:03PM +0100, Kristian Fiskerstrand wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA512
4 >
5 > On 11/25/2015 06:10 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
6 > > All,
7 > >
8 > > I would like for us to discuss adding the sbin directories to PATH
9 > > for all users.
12 > This sounds strange to me, if it should be executable by all users it
13 > likely shouldn't be in sbin in the first place but in bin. In any
14 > case; I don't see any good reason to change the traditional behavior
15 > of sbin only being in path for root.
16
17 This behaviour is not really that traddditional. most *nix's I've seen
18 have the sbin directories in the path for all users.
19
20 I wanted to open the discussion, because the fact that we remove sbin
21 from paths was cited on the bug I referred to as a reason I should keep
22 the patch that the prefix team applied to dev-lang/go.
23
24 My opinion is prefix should either fix their paths (include /sbin) even
25 though they are running unprivileged, or it would be better even if they
26 found a way to do the same test that did not require access to sbin and
27 contributed that to Go upstream.
28
29 William