From: Drake Wyrm <wyrm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Installer For Gentoo
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 03:44:24
1 On Wed, Jan 14, 2004 at 04:14:42PM -0800, in <4005DB72.5080207@×××××××××××.com>, Jeff Griffiths <jeffg@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Brian Dwornick wrote:
3 > > I do agree that gentoo is good for people that want to learn.
4 > Wanting to
5 > >learn and a pretty GUI are not on the same path. I am more trying to make
6 > >a
7 > >point that the people that would truely benifit from an installer are
8 > >sysadmins that are trying to mass load and do not want to resort to disk
9 > >imaging. While a pretty GUI is good for a first time linux user, if they
10 > >really want to learn, they should use the install guide and go at it the
11 > >old
12 > >fashoned way.
13 >
14 > why does installer equate with GUI? it also does not neccesarily equate
15 > with 'dumbing down'. a lot of the learning involved in the gentoo
16 > process that is valuable is about the linux / gentoo system itself. i
17 > have spent lots of time trying to figure out hardware issues during
18 > various linux installs but i can't say that i learned much from them.
19 Good point. Gentoo already has an "installer": the bash prompt. A few
20 handy functions that walk the admin through the install process would
21 fit perfectly into the Gentoo idiom. Just off the top of my head, I can
22 think of putting the following in the LiveCD bashrc:
23
24 alias '?'=what_am_i_doing_helpfunction
25 PS1='Gentoo [? for help] ${PWD}>'
26 function install_status() {
27 ebegin Network connectivity
28 [ $GENSTALL_FINISHED_NETWORK == "yes" ]
29 eend $?
30 ebegin Partition drives
31 [ $GENSTALL_FINISHED_PARTITION == "yes" ]
32 eend $?
33 ebegin Build filesystems
34 [ $GENSTALL_FINISHED_FILESYSTEMS == "yes" ]
35 eend $?
36 ebegin Unpack tarball
37 [ $GENSTALL_FINISHED_TARBALL == "yes" ]
38 eend $?
39 source /tmp/the-rest-of-this-function
40 }
41
42 In the end, the "installer" is the person sitting at the keyboard,
43 regardless of what is on the screen.
46 > $.02
47 Singapore or Australian dollars?
50 Batou: Hey, Major... You ever hear of "human rights"?
51 Kusanagi: I understand the concept, but I've never seen it in action.
52 --Ghost in the Shell