From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: CONFIG_CHECK_FATAL, making CONFIG_CHECKS fatal by default
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 21:30:48
1 On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 01/24/13 13:58, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
5 >> How about, you know what you're doing and are going to build a new
6 >> kernel as soon as the emerge finishes (since the emerge is also
7 >> bringing in a new gentoo-sources)??
10 > If you're going to upgrade both anyway, you should be upgrading the
11 > kernel first. That way if you lose power or the system crashes, the box
12 > can reboot.
13
14 The problem is that we're trying to solve a very specific issue (a
15 udev upgrade, which already happened) with a general solution.
16
17 Whatever we come up with has to be override-able in a way that doesn't
18 then just come back to haunt them.
19
20 As far as what order you upgrade what in - in the case where I'd be
21 most likely to run into this the system wouldn't be bootable before I
22 upgrade, or after I upgrade. I'd tend to run into this issue when
23 building a new system from a stage3 - just dump a bunch of stuff in
24 @world (including a kernel) and then run an emerge -uDN world followed
25 by building a kernel.
26
27 Yes, this isn't a typical case, and neither are the 10 billion other
28 cases where config checks break. However, typical users don't run
29 Gentoo to begin with. Everybody has some odd case or another - so we
30 warn people of potential breakage before we break things and let them
31 use the brains they needed to get Gentoo working in the first place.
32
33 Rich