From: Angelo Arrifano <miknix@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: .la files and their future on Gentoo
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2010 13:45:13
1 On 05-10-2010 13:49, Luca Barbato wrote:
2 > On 10/5/10 9:52 AM, Angelo Arrifano wrote:
3 >
4 >> By removing .la files, you are taking away that choice from the user.
5 >> For you they might be useless, for some user (or entire software house)
6 >> it can be its holly grail for library versioning and linking. I don't
7 >> really feel like forcing users to change their build setups just because
8 >> we think they are useless, do you?
9 >> - It is decisions like this one that *might* give us bad reputation.
10 >
11 > Bluntly put, you seem to not know how libtool exactly works and further
12 > down in the thread how linking exactly works. Please try to learn the
13 > fine Gentoo docs on the subject and feel free to ask more details on irc.
14 >
15 > lu
19 I just talked with Samuli and Luca at IRC and indeed there were some
20 issues in my reasoning about libtool's behavior. Applications expecting
21 overlinking to link correctly would be broken anyway due to
22 -Wl,--as-needed .
23
24 Since all the issues I tried to point will not be verified anyway, I
25 don't see anymore why we can't proceed with the proposal. Moreover, due
26 to my past in fixing .la files to let programs cross-compile correctly I
27 actually welcome this change. So here it is my
28 +1