From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Testing is not a valid reason to package.mask
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 05:11:33
1 Ryan Hill wrote:
2 > On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 22:24:35 +0200
3 > Jeroen Roovers<jer@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Please people,
8 >> if you want to get something tested, then don't mask it.
9 >
10 > Um... no? One thing that package.mask has always been used for is
11 > temporarily masking a package until it can be tested and then unleashed
12 > on the general population.
13
14 I think there's "testing" and "testing", and we're getting confused
15 between the two :)
16
17 The testing cycle with packages that you know will badly break
18 something, usually involves test, patch, test, patch, etc. During which
19 the package is masked for good reason (the reason specified in
20 package.mask) and certain users may unmask for whatever reason (helping
21 to test, etc).
22
23 Then once you're happy to unleash it on ~arch, it still requires some
24 amount of testing, but generally isn't "may delete all your data" testing.
25
26 > It's not like we're putting masked stuff in
27 > the tree with the hope that someone will find it and try it out. You
28 > mask a package, ask the user or whoever to test it, and unmask it when
29 > it's ready. We don't just throw untested stuff into the tree when we
30 > suspect problems with it. ~arch is not a playground. Already one of
31 > the major complaints we see against Gentoo time and time again is that
32 > it breaks too often and the maintenance burden is too high. Why would
33 > we want to exacerbate that?
34
35 But this isn't a complaint against ~arch surely? The general feeling I
36 get from gentoo-user when someone complains about an ~arch "production
37 box" or "remote system" that broke, is "well, what did you expect from
38 ~arch?"
39
40 > We don't /want/ ~arch systems to get "automatically widely exposed to
41 > the stuff we're intending to get tested".
42
43 No, not "delete all your data" testing, but yes you do want it exposed
44 to "may still be slightly quirky" testing.
45
46 > That's the whole point of
47 > masking it! We want it tested by a few people before we expose it to
48 > the unwashed masses.
49
50 I would assume the unwashed masses are arch, not ~arch. If you're
51 installing ~arch:
52
53 "~arch keyword means that the application is not tested sufficiently to
54 be put in the stable branch" [1]
55
56 "We recommend that you only use the stable branch. However, if you don't
57 care about stability this much..." [1]
58
59 "The testing branch is exactly what it says - Testing. If a package is
60 in testing, it means that the developers feel that it is functional but
61 has not been thoroughly tested. You could very well be the first to
62 discover a bug in the package in which case you could file a bugreport
63 to let the developers know about it.
64 Beware though, you might notice stability issues, imperfect package
65 handling (for instance wrong/missing dependencies), too frequent updates
66 (resulting in lots of building) or broken packages. If you do not know
67 how Gentoo works and how to solve problems, we recommend that you stick
68 with the stable and tested branch." [1]
69
70 > So, no, I'll continue using package.mask for testing just
71 > as it always has been. Sorry.
72
73 All IMHO from a user point of view, of course.
74
75 [1] Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/
76
77 cya,
81 fenderberg, n.:
82 The large glacial deposits that form on the insides
83 of car fenders during snowstorms.
84 -- "Sniglets", Rich Hall & Friends