From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: dilfridge@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Becoming a Gentoo developer?
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 09:45:46
1 On 04/17/2015 11:09 PM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
2 > Am Donnerstag, 16. April 2015, 19:27:13 schrieb hasufell:
3 >
4 >> High-quality overlays are the easiest way to contribute. I don't think
5 >> users should really have to care when or how an ebuild reaches the CVS
6 >> gentoo tree. Most projects already use overlays (e.g. science, perl,
7 >> haskell...). Start there and you'll save a lot of headache too.
10 > * No offense to those involved there intended, but I'm pretty sure that overall QA standards in the main tree are higher than in the sci overlay at least.
11
12 Hm. That really depends on the maintainers. I've repeatedly seen utterly
13 broken ebuilds in the tree that have lower quality than most user overlays.
14
15 It's hard to say something about the QA standards of the tree, because
16 there is no consistent workflow.
17
18 > Project overlays are typically used as staging ground for packages "in preparation" or "not yet ready for the end user". I am still not sure why you are trying to forcefully mix up this distinction.
21 Project overlays are not just used as staging ground, but also for user
22 contributions. I don't think I am mixing up anything here and I was
23 talking about "high-quality" overlays in general. I don't really care if
24 it's run by a gentoo project when I contribute.