From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 16:10:07
1 On Wed, 2006-05-17 at 10:17 -0400, Patrick McLean wrote:
2 > Last time I checked, we don't support *everything* in the tree, for
3 > example everything in package.mask and/or keyworded -* is considered
4 > unsupported (or are you trying to tell me that
5 > sys-devel/gcc-4.2.0_alpha20060513 is officially supported).
6
7 Yes, it is supported. Ask Halcy0n. If you file a bug, he'll try to fix
8 it. To me, that's a "reasable level of support".
9
10 Notice I said *nothing* about *how* something should be supported.
11 Please don't try to interject your own thoughts into my words.
12
13 > > If there is a bug in Paludis, since the package *is* in our tree, users
14 > > can file bugs in our bugzilla. Now, you might mark them as INVALID
15 > > (which is wrong, btw) or UPSTREAM (which is right), but *somebody* has
16 > > to take the time to look at the bug, determine that it is a Paludis bug,
17 > > then do the work to UPSTREAM it. Proper usage of UPSTREAM means
18 > > actually *filing* a bug upstream, not just pushing it off on the user,
19 > > though this isn't used nearly as much in practice as it should be.
20 > >
21 > > A profile is an even more problematic affair, as it has an even
22 > > longer-standing assumption that they are 100% supported by Gentoo.
23 >
24 > Deprecated profiles are considered unsupported, as are most of the
25 > gentoo-alt profiles. Also most arches have development profiles which
26 > are considered unsupported (on amd64 we add a profile.bashrc that dies
27 > unless something like I_WANT_TO_BREAK_MY_SYSTEM=1 is set).
28
29 Yeah, and amd64 doesn't do that anymore because it broke repoman and I
30 had it removed. Also, even those profiles were still supported
31 in-so-far as you accepted bug reports (with patches) that resolved
32 issues with the profile. I personally have worked with several amd64
33 team members to fix bugs in these "unsupported" profiles in the past.
36 Chris Gianelloni
37 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
38 x86 Architecture Team
39 Games - Developer