From: foser <foser@×××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Regarding xft2 and gnome 2.1 removal
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 16:45:18
1 Hi,
2
3 for those out there who are wondering what's going on with GNOME 2.1 in
4 portage here some clarification. I removed all 2.1 related packages from
5 the tree, the 2.1.3 tree is now available as a seperate pack [1]. Reason
6 for this is mainly an internal discussion about having unstable stuff in
7 the main tree. I intend to put it back in around the 2.1 release
8 candidate stages, so we can still get some in-tree testing done. Your
9 testing of the seperate pack is valued as well, but dicuss problems only
10 by IRC or the forums.
11
12 Also we put xft2 in ~masked. Together with the gnome-2.0.3-r1 ebuild you
13 should have a gnome install using xft2. By now all other xft supporting
14 apps should compile fine with xft2 around (KDE,*box,idesk, mozilla). If
15 you have problems with building stuff against xft2, make sure you
16 re-emerged xft2 _after_ you have emerged xfree. This is the cause of
17 most of the problems i've seen so far. If you have done so and still
18 have troubles, feel free to check our bugzilla [2] if there's a similar
19 bug around or file a new one. This will help us iron out the last issues
20 and get it ready for the 1.4 release.
21
22 - foser
23
24 Gentoo Linux GNOME Desktop Team