From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: newsitem: unmasking udev-181
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 00:30:34
1 On 03/13/2012 05:14, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
4 > And besides, genkernel and dracut are automatized; they *are* the
5 > simple (and proper, IMHO) solution.
8 My contention is that I shouldn't need an initramfs loaded into my kernel to
9 get my system into a minimally-usable state. I've been running separate
10 /usr setups for 10+ years, and only now, such a setup breaks, hence my beef
11 with Fedora's assertion that such a setup is wrong. And I'm not even doing
12 anything fancy! No encryption, no lvm/evms, no software RAID (on x86/x64 --
13 MIPS systems run mdadm), plain ext3/ext4 filesystems. I *shouldn't* need to
14 start including an initramfs in my kernel to work around this.
15
16 make menuconfig, make <bzImage|vmlinux[.32]>[, make modules[_install]], then
17 update the bootloader, is how I've done kernels for the longest time. This
18 new approach makes the above command sequence invalid if under a separate /usr.
19
20 From a technical perspective, my argument is a moot point and is easily
21 remedied. But I'm making it from a more philosophical standpoint because
22 what once was a working setup, however uncommon, is not any more, and that
23 to me is broken. I've essentially lost some amount of "freedom" in my
24 choice of running a Linux box.
27 Joshua Kinard
28 Gentoo/MIPS
29 kumba@g.o
30 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28
31
32 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
33 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
34
35 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic