From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: newsitem: unmasking udev-181
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 00:30:34
On 03/13/2012 05:14, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:

> > And besides, genkernel and dracut are automatized; they *are* the > simple (and proper, IMHO) solution.
My contention is that I shouldn't need an initramfs loaded into my kernel to get my system into a minimally-usable state. I've been running separate /usr setups for 10+ years, and only now, such a setup breaks, hence my beef with Fedora's assertion that such a setup is wrong. And I'm not even doing anything fancy! No encryption, no lvm/evms, no software RAID (on x86/x64 -- MIPS systems run mdadm), plain ext3/ext4 filesystems. I *shouldn't* need to start including an initramfs in my kernel to work around this. make menuconfig, make <bzImage|vmlinux[.32]>[, make modules[_install]], then update the bootloader, is how I've done kernels for the longest time. This new approach makes the above command sequence invalid if under a separate /usr. From a technical perspective, my argument is a moot point and is easily remedied. But I'm making it from a more philosophical standpoint because what once was a working setup, however uncommon, is not any more, and that to me is broken. I've essentially lost some amount of "freedom" in my choice of running a Linux box. -- Joshua Kinard Gentoo/MIPS kumba@g.o 4096R/D25D95E3 2011-03-28 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between." --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic