From: Vitaly Kushneriuk <vitaly_kushneriuk@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] A new category scheme idea
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 07:32:32
1 I have a good news for you Einar, the features you want
2 are already there ;). Just read on.
3
4 On Mon, 2002-02-04 at 14:07, Einar Karttunen wrote:
5 > On 04.02.02 12:47 +0100(+0000), gentoo-user@××××××××.net wrote:
6 > > On 4 Feb 2002, Vitaly Kushneriuk wrote:
7 > >
8 > > > On Mon, 2002-02-04 at 13:25, gentoo-user@××××××××.net wrote:
9 > >
10 > > > Just an idea:
11 > > > to simplify it we can have *optional* KEYWORDS="xxx yyy" in
12 > > > ebuild file, and "emerge --update-keywords" command to
13 > > > scan through available ebuilds and dump their names to apropriate files
14 > > > under /usr/portage/keywords
15 > > > i.e. if in dev-lang/python-2.1.1-r3.ebuild, there's
16 > > > KEYWORD="DEVELOPMENT PYTHON COMPILER"
17 > > > dev-lang/python-2.1.1-r3 will be appended to
18 > > > /usr/portage/keywords/{DEVELOPMENT,PYTHON,COMPILER}
19 > > >
20 > >
21 > > Slick idea, I don't know whether we want categories or keywords, but it
22 > > basically comes down on the same thing. But you're right that's the way to
23 > > do it with the least amount of maintenance.
26 > I don't think so. The work would just go into specifying keywords for the
27 > ebuilds. If we have categories it is easier to create local categories
28 > and organise ebuilds by criterion the original author didn't think of.
29
30 You can do this today, just fire your favirite aditor and
31 put there whatever package names that you want.
32
33 > For example lynx could be put into console-apps and web-browsers, but
34 > this may be done without touching the ebuild at all. So someone may create
35 > an category without consulting the authors of the respective ebuilds.
36 > This would remove the dependency of managing categories and ebuilds
37 > and distribute the work. Also new experimental ebuilds could be added
38 > quickly into portage and integrated into official categories when they
39 > prove successful. Gentoo installations could be copied by creating
40
41 There's nothing in the portage that prevents you having your own
42 ebuilds.
43 If you use rsync, just put them outside /usr/portage, if using cvs,
44 you can leave them inplace.
45
46 > a custom category containing all installed applications and then
47 > merging it on another server.
48
49 with MYSYSTEM being file with your preferred list of packages,
50 just do "emerge `cat MYSYSTEM`"
53 > - Einar Karttunen
55 > gentoo-dev mailing list
56 > gentoo-dev@g.o
58 So as you see, your "custom" categories are already there.
59 The keywords come to solve problem of finding package
60 that you don't know about. i.e. I want all WindowMaker dockapps.
61 Then I'll look in /usr/portage/keywords and see file named WMakerDockApp
62 for exmaple. This is if ebuild author put there the keyword.
63 If not... Well, then you still have to find it manualy, and then
64 if you want, you can add the name to yout custom category file,
65 as described above.
66
67 Hope this helps,
68 /Vitaly.