From: "Olivier CrĂȘte" <tester@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Split ELF Debug (defult or not?)
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 19:21:09
1 On Sat, 2005-26-11 at 12:50 -0500, Ned Ludd wrote:
2 > I'm in favor of it enabled per default but I'd like to know what you
3 > think and why. (advantages of on/off by default etc..)
4
5 First, I fully support solar's patch, this feature should have been
6 integrated into portage months ago.
7
8 > Anybody wanting to test or make use of this feature right away can grab
9 > a copy of my prepstrip from
10 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~solar/portage_misc/prepstrip and save it to
11 > /usr/lib/portage/bin/prepstrip or patch portage with
12 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~solar/patch_overlay/sys-apps/portage/portage-2.0.53_rc7-prepstrip.patch
13 > It requires you merge pax-utils for the scanelf util.
14
15 Second, it's often helpful for development to also have the source code
16 of the libraries when debugging a program (like MSFT has done for
17 years). Red Hat also does that, they have built a tool to extract the
18 list of referenced files from the debug info itself. I've made a patch
19 to integrate that tool into portage and an ebuild for the tool.
20
21 Patch (apply on top of solar's patch):
22 http://dev.gentoo.org/~tester/prepstrip-keep-sources.patch
23 Fully patched prepstrip:
24 http://dev.gentoo.org/~tester/prepstrip
25