From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: chromium@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Stop altering of current release ebuilds and propagate the changes slowly
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2011 08:23:17
1 2011/11/10 Tomáš Chvátal <scarabeus@g.o>:
2 > Hi guys,
3 >
4 > In last 3 days i recompiled chromium 3x
5 >
6 > 1x rebuild for cups useflag
7 > 1x update
8 > 1x rebuild for cups useflag
9 >
10 > If you screw the ebuild up then always think if the change is worth
11 > the stupid long recompile time.
12
13 I tentatively agree in terms of USe flag mixups...however...
14
15 > Like it is not enough there is version bump every few days...
16 > Just alter only live ebuild and branch of it with each release and do
17 > not alter the releases unless really critical bug is there. People are
18 > patient and they can wait for bugfixes.
19
20 I actually like that chromium releases at a high rate of speed. Does
21 that mean it sucks for Gentoo? Sure.
22 However if I want to stay on a particular rev (so I don't recompile
23 all the time) I can pmask it (and so can you.)
26 > Imagine that I would adopt your approach with libreoffice. I suppose
27 > people would chain me to some wall and use as target practice as
28 > result fo my actions :)
29
30 Well one; I care a lot less about having an up to date libre office
31 since it is not typically a target for attacks (unlike my browser
32 which has a large attack surface.)
33 That being said; if upstream did an actual release every week I
34 wouldn't be offended if those releases made it into the tree; again it
35 is up to me as a user to decide if i am recompiling or not.
36
37 -A
40 > Cheers
41 >